One of the biggest challenges for a business to remain competitive and viable is to motivate their workforce. People are the greatest resource of a business! Leaders must do a better job of motivating their workforce in order to fully utilize the skills, talents, and creativity of everyone in a way that will increase their personal satisfaction and contribution to the business. Achieving this includes a significant positive impact on morale and retention.
CAPABILITY x MOTIVATION = IMPROVED PERFORMANCE
The following characteristics reflect the motivational factors combined with the right leadership behaviors will help match individual career needs, capabilities, and interests with business needs:
- Personal Growth
- A conscious process of developing or advancing oneself, which often results in an internal experience of fulfillment and satisfaction.
- Achievement of a Significant Task
- The bringing to a successful end a project or activity that has high value, importance or meaning to the individual and the business.
- Responsibility with Autonomy
- Accountable for a task over which we have a large degree of control, freedom, and independence.
- Acknowledgement for Accomplishment
- Receiving recognition and appreciation from colleagues, supervision, and/or the company for having brought a project/activity to a successful conclusion, contributing to the wellbeing of the team and to the bottom-line of the business.
- Alignment of Purpose
- The experience of having one’s own goals, aims, or intentions shared by – or consistent with those of – the team, leadership, and business.
- Relationships built on Trust and Respect
- A sense of belonging, connectedness, or kinship to other individuals or a team that is grounded in mutual regard, consideration, and confidence.
- A belief that decisions, and the processes for deciding matters affecting one’s quality of worklife, are just and equitable.
- Foundational Needs
- The fundamentals of an employment relationship are satisfied, i.e. compensation, working conditions, and employment security.